All the Girls that feel me say: OKAY...GO GIRL!!!

Sunday, December 06, 2009

Writer's Laryngitis

When I created this blog, I wanted a space for women to share insight and express frustration with men.




For me, this blog also represented a platform to share what I was thinking no matter how inappropriate my thoughts may be perceived. This blog was suppose to be fun, interactive, and provoke conversation.

However, I quickly discovered how difficult it is to get people to participate in conversations. I also found that many other bloggers were working hard to increase traffic to their blogs. I expected to be able to write a post every other day and promote the blog with the hopes that I would increase my traffic. My expectations were high and unrealistic.

I did not share in the first posting titled, “Who is Cruise Control? Ms Jackson Said this Best In 1986” is: I am a writer. Not professionally, but perfectionally. (Perfectionally – I am a perfectionist when it comes to my writing)

What I mean by this is that I did not disclose how much I care about what I write. It matters to me how I get from the beginning paragraph to the last sentence. I kinda care if my reader doesn’t get the analogy I choose. This simple post may take me a couple of hours to write and by the end, I will have not understood what made me make the choices that I made to get to whatever my last sentence will be in this posting. And No, at this point, I do not know what the final sentence of this post will be. However, I will enjoy every 5 character footstep that it takes to get to the end of this post.

So, it’s been a very long time since I posted. August 2005 - a little over 4 years. Longer than what I ever intended when I created this spot.

For the past couple of months, I have thought very seriously about writing. For me, writing has always been about finding the dark corner in my mind and standing there no matter how long it takes. Listening to what’s being said and creatively explaining the experience by putting words on a page. (Note: I think I know the last sentence of the post.)

Four years, I have been waiting to come back to this spot. I never forgot it, but I couldn’t get here. Some may call it “writer’s block” which is when a writer looses the ability to produce new work. The cause can be attributed to a lack of creativity, stress, lack of inspiration, etc.



None of the above describes why I abandoned the blog for such a long time. When I stepped away from this space, I stepped away from writing as a whole. I have not recorded the conversations from my dark corner in four years.

My inability to write is what I refer to as Writer’s Laryngitis. I completely lost my voice! Over the four year period, I have had a lot to say, but somehow with the constant 14-hour days, traveling city-to-city, never seeming to relax enough to think, pressuring myself to create until I am satisfied… has been intimidating and exhausting. My voice left me. The more I searched for it, the more fearful I became of never finding it. So, I decided to call the search off and pray for it’s safe return.





There was an Anonymous post that was made on Sept. 25th of this year that said: “Two entries from you were just not enough. Very talented writer imho. How come you never posted anymore? Maybe you were just too busy playing the same old games with all the men in your life. No kidding..you should try this again.”

To: Anonymous (Whom ever you are), Thank you. This posting is for you. I hope you understand why I couldn’t get past the 2 entries. My thoughts plus your comment has forced me to begin the search again.

And to think…We just thought this spot was about how screwed up relationships are…

1 Comments:

  • At 11:24 PM, December 14, 2009, Blogger Jo said…

    I'm glad you found me, because that's how I found you! I agree with "anonymous". I really enjoy your writing, and will definitely be back for more.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Cheap LCD Monitor
Cheap LCD Monitor